Option 1: The Diet Way
1. Choose a popular diet (Jenny Craig, Nutri-Systems, South Beach, Weight Watchers, etc.) Or a “lifestyle” program (Gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, raw foods, juicing.) Either way, you dive in happy to have found a “solution” and begin to follow the program religiously.
2. Lose weight quickly and get excited.
3. Feel encouraged that you’re losing and decide you can bend the rules just a bit… Mostly because at this point, you’re dying for a cheeseburguer or a cupcake or a Mojito.
4. Begin to regain because that’s what 95% of peole do. Worse, you may regain more than you’ve lost… (One step forward, two steps back.)
5. Get back on the diet and swear you’ll stay on it this time until the day you die… Because that is the only way!
Option 2: The 80Bites Way
1. Begin counting bites to see where your mouth and stomach stand, and know you’re eating way more than 80 bites per day… (Unless you’re drinking those calories.)
2. Begin gradually reducing down and taking time chewing each bite.
3. Develop a “sixth sense” for quantity awareness… You notice that your restaurant plate is easily 45 bites.
4. You reduce the frequency of eating events. You quit grazing so your body can detox naturally.
5. You realize that you are less hungry. Your stomach had begun to shrink to its natural (smaller) size.
6. You pace yourself so that you don’t lose more than 2lbs. a month giving your digestive hormones time to adapt. YOU can beat the regain odds!
7. You begin to feel uncomfortable when you overeat; your body is now working for you. There is no “diet” to follow, so you simply continue eating what you wish but always knowing that less is more.